Job Title: Adv Resp Care Practitioner
Company: MidHudson Regional Hospital
City/State: Poughkeepsie, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Respiratory Therapy
Position: Full Time
Req #: 28487
Posted Date: May 10, 2022
The Advanced Respiratory Care Practitioner, administers all Respiratory Care therapeutic and diagnostic modalities in all patient care areas, demonstrates knowledge and skill necessary to provide all Respiratory Care modalities. Initiates and maintains all patients on continuous mechanical ventilation, performs equipment and calibration maintenance, and serves as a clinical resource to all members of the health care team.
- Implements therapeutic and diagnostic modalities offered by the department. Assesses patient response to modalities including the appropriateness of therapy and/or recommends additions, deletions and changes to said therapy, demonstrating effective decision making in clinical situation
- Provides continuous mechanical ventilation including an in-depth knowledge, ability and clinical application of weaning, PEEP/CPAP, bedside weaning, spirometry and alternative methods of ventilation.
- Possess a working knowledge of respiratory care drug administration including an in-depth knowledge of indications, contra-indications, adverse reactions and possible side effects.
- Obtains arterial blood gases from all applicable sites including radial & brachial arteries. Obtains blood samples from arterial lines. Conducts ABG analyzer maintenance as required. Reports Critical Values Adheres to all Infection Control Policies and Procedures.
- Possess a working knowledge of all types of artificial airways and their appropriate use. Possess a working knowledge and authorization for the performance of tracheal extubation. Effectively suctions via all routes.
- Maintains documentation for all therapeutic and diagnostic procedures performed in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Maintains accurate information and enters charges for all work completed into the hospital information system.
- Participates in Smoking Cessation QI program and all other quality driven initiatives, as assigned.
- Demonstrates awareness of teaching plan for assigned patients. Assists in the implementation of the teaching plan at a level appropriate to own knowledge base/scope of practice. Reinforces teaching plan to patient/family.
- Performs specialized diagnostic testing and specialized invasive procedures. Performs Pulmonary Function Tests. Performs bedside screening. Performs intubation/verifies placement. Rotates through PFT lab, doing complete studies, performing calibrations and equipment maintenance as required. Inserts percutaneous radial artery catheters
- Maintains current certification/authorization in any department procedure requiring certification/authorization commensurate with job description.
- Serves as a resource to other health care team members in relation to all aspects of the respiratory care.
- Supports and participates in changes affecting the respiratory department. Special projects, policy revision, etc. Actively participates in department specific educational events.
- Maintains ACLS/PALS training/certification.
- Discusses the patient’s overall respiratory status in a consulting and associative role with the attending physician and nursing staff. Organizes workload to accommodate and coordinate availability to meet patient’s needs and physician schedule in order to actively participate in Medical and Trauma rounds.
- Performs routine equipment maintenance, including calibration, testing, preparation, repair when necessary and cleaning. Participates in equipment evaluation. Informs coordinator/supervisor of any defects or malfunctions.Performs all related responsibilities/duties as assigned.
Minimum of twelve months clinical experience.
Graduate of an A.M.A approved program for Respiratory Care (N.B.R.C.) Associate Degree of Applied Science, or higher, in Respiratory Care required.
Registered by the National Board of Respiratory Care (N.B.R.C.) Certified in BLS Appropriate federal, state and local licensing requirements
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively function as a health care team member.
- Demonstrated skills necessary to perform teaching and leadership duties.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley’s most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area’s only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.