Job Title: Anesthesia Aide
Company: MidHudson Regional Hospital
City/State: Poughkeepsie, NY
Category: Nursing Support
Department: Operating Room
Position: Full Time
Hours: 6a-230p Flex
Req #: 34005
Posted Date: Feb 24, 2023
The O.R. Anesthesia Aide assists the anesthesiologists by performing specific tasks pertinent to the functional operation of the unit. The tasks which involve specific responsibilities for the anesthesia department, also involve specialized services for patient care. The tasks are assigned by and performed under the direction of an anesthesiologist and a Registered Nurse.
- Decontamination Practices:
- Cleans all reusable Anesthesia instrumentation as needed following OSHA and policy specific guidelines.
- Adheres to OSHA specific guidelines concerning personal protective equipment.
- Terminally cleans anesthesia machine at completion of case and daily schedule. Performs functional tests to ensure that equipment is available for use.
- Performs proper cleaning of all power equipment. Checks all power equipment for proper operation.
- Preparation and Sterilization Practices:
- Follows prescribed procedures in preparation and assembly of equipment.
- Stores sterile goods to maintain sterility and checks packages for integrity and expiration dates.
- Materials Management, Distribution and Storage:
- Maintains anesthesia inventory, maintaining par levels and reports shortages and overstocking. Proactively adjusting to enhance the balance of financial contracts/department need and functions.
- Responsible for and receiving of supplies, reports and handles discrepancies with receiving and purchasing necessary.
- Uncases and puts away supplies in a timely manner. Able to identify any unusual unfinished packing/deliveries.
- Prepares packaging and proper paperwork necessary to insure proper return for credit or repairs.
- Arranges for repairs of equipment and Biomedical testing as outlined in the policy manual. Ability to identify priorities as routine.
- Maintains and updates accurate inventory logs.
- Demonstrates cost-containment practices. Ability to recognizes area increase cost containment.
- Assists in evaluation of products and equipment to improve practices in the Anesthesia Department.
- Works in collaboration with purchasing department for maintenance and acquisition of products and equipment.
- Responsible for circuit turnover, basic anesthesia cart setup, including ultrasound, A line, Central line.
- Orders non-narcotic drugs from Pharmacy under the direction of an RN, and rotates stock.
- QA/QI Indicators and Testing Practices:
- Exhibits timely satisfactory completion ofassignments, with minimal assistance as evidence of no overtime, unless requested and approved by Supervisor.
- Reports problems to appropriate Supervisor.
- Reports unsafe conditions promptly.
- Implementation of Direct Patient Care:
- Assists anesthesiologist in other Department, i.e. MRI or CAT Scan.
- Demonstrates competency and safety in all areas of work. Recognizes potential areas for improvement as the opportunity presents.
- Receives assignment form RN/Anesthesiologist and completes in a timely manner.
- Assist with positioning patients.
- Reports relevant observations or patient’s response to RN, Anesthesiologist and surgeons.
- Assists Anesthesiologist with A-Lines, Epidurals, Blocks, Swan and CVP insertion. Prepares andcalibrates A- Lines. Increase knowledge to better anticipate anesthesia unexpected needs.
- Protects patient’s skin integrity.
- Acts as a liaison between OR, Central Supply staff, providing guidance and instruction as necessary.
- Demonstrates high level of mental and emotional tolerance by exhibiting tact and sound judgment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- O.R. or Central Processing experience, required.
- High School graduate or equivalent, required.
- Certified in BLS
- Unit specific advanced technical skills and/or certification preferred.
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic principles of asepsis, simple chemistry/biology desired.
- Ability to work independently, effective communication skills.
- Comprehension of medical and pharmaceutical terminology and computer experience.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley’s most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area’s only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.