Job Title: Bariatric Coord-Metabolic Rev
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Nursing/Nursing Management
Department: Gen Amb Center Bariatrics
Position: Full Time
Req #: 505
Posted Date: May 14, 2021
The MBS Coordinator is responsible for assisting in center development, managing the accreditation process and ensuring continuous compliance with the MBSAQIP requirements. This position maintains relevant policies/procedures, patient education, data collection, quality improvement efforts and staff education with a focus on patient safety. In addition, the MBS Coordinator provides resources with accessing supportive care services to patients and caregivers within GSH/BSCH and their surrounding communities.
The MBS Clinical Data Reviewer is responsible for collecting and submitting accurate, complete, and timely data into the MBSAQIP (Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program) Data Registry Platform. This position manages data entry deadlines and center’s accreditation processes as necessary. In addition, the MBS Clinical Data Reviewer identifies opportunities for clinical quality improvement in conjunction with related departments.
The MBS Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Assists patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment options, and the resources available, including educating eligible patients about appropriate clinical research studies and technologies.
- Facilitates appointments for consults and support services within established service standards, including social workers, dietitians, physician, etc.
- Coordinates multidisciplinary planning conferences, develops concise patient summaries for use by the care team, and documents recommendations utilizing standardized care protocols in accordance with nationally recognized care guidelines.
- Utilizes software applications for data collection and analysis.
- Delivers quarterly report card to committees and other groups which demonstrate outcomes and performance improvement activities.
- Participates in data compilation for audits and (re)accreditation applications for accreditation status.
- • Reviews and updates bariatric policies, pathways, and specialized bariatric equipment list.
The MBS Coordinator and MBS Clinical Data Reviewer are responsible for the following:
- Identifies 100% of metabolic/bariatric surgery patients for inclusion into MBSAQIP data registry.
- Collects preoperative, intraoperative, 30-day postoperative, and long-term (six month and annual thereafter) follow-up data components for the program through the effective utilization of the hospital medical record systems.
- Demonstrates appropriate utilization of resources necessary to obtain valid, reliable data for entry into the program.
- Maintains effective working relationships with members of the hospital community, especially staff in the surgery, medicine, nursing, medical records, and information systems departments and individual bariatric surgeons’ offices whose support is necessary for the management and success of the program.
- Develops educational material and serves as a resource on the MBSAQIP data registry platform for internal and external audiences.
- Assesses data reflective of the patient’s status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
New York State RN license or Registered Dietician required. Minimum one year experience in a hospital surgery department/clinic or with clinical research and medical records. Clinical chart review and abstraction experience required. Specifically for the MBS Clinical Data Reviewer, quality improvement/patient safety knowledge experience preferred as well as database management with data entry experience.
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Bon Secours Community Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.