Job Title: Behavioral Health Screener
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: General - Adult Psych
Position: Part Time
Req #: 3177
Posted Date: May 13, 2022
The Behavioral Health Screener is responsible for providing psychiatric emergency screening in the BSCH Emergency Department.The Screener is also responsible for obtaining insurance approval for inpatient behavioral health treatment, making sure that correct legal papers are completed and prepares other documentation as necessary.Maintains administrative records related to emergency evaluations and collaborates with ED physician and other staff members, psychiatrists on-call, Behavioral Health inpatient units and law enforcement personnel as needed.The Behavioral Health Screener is also responsible for assisting the psychiatrist in addressing psychiatry consults on medical floors that include initial screening and follow-up, and works closely with the case managers in discharge planning and to ensure that patients receive proper psychiatric care.The Behavioral Health Screener/Clinician will also be responsible to assist Mental Health Unit in their daily activities based on availability.
- Provides psychiatric emergency room screening and disposition of patients and refer those ineligible for admission to other community resources
- Obtains insurance approval for inpatient behavioral health treatment
- Ensures correct legal papers are completed and prepare other documentation as necessary
- Documents all interaction timely and accurately on the proper form
- Functions as an integral part of the multidisciplinary team
- Identifies problems and plan interventions in response to these problems
- Adheres to Mental Health Units and New Directions policies and procedures in admitting new patients
- Remains knowledgeable and current about community resources and other concrete services
- Arranges for post discharge care of patients by referring patients to appropriate community agencies to meet aftercare needs.
- Collects data and prepares monthly statistical reports on all patients and presents to the Clinical Director
- Maintains a safe and orderly work area and adheres to hospital policies and procedures and standard safe work practices
- Maintains ER log of encounters in the ER and on medical floor.
- Maintains and fosters positive working relationships with appropriate community service providers
- Assist psychiatrist in addressing psychiatrist consult in medical floors that include initial screening and follow-up
- Assists case managers in developing a comprehensive discharge plan that will include if necessary psychiatric and making sure that patient receive proper psychiatric care
- Obtains insurance pre-approval if patient is referred for inpatient treatment
- Makes sure that correct legal papers are completed and prepares other documentation as necessary
- Assists Social Workers in their daily activities
- Assists with crisis situations in the unit
- Assists in planning and implementation Quality and Performance Improvement projects
- Demonstrates an awareness of, and actively participates in, collection and evaluation of data and communicating results of CQI to other staff members of the health care team.
- Identifies potential problems and participates in solving identified problems.
- Responds with improved performance to results obtained from CQI activities
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Prior experience in psychiatric screening preferred
A Master’s degree from an accredited school of social work or mental health counseling is required
The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.