Job Title: Cat Scan Technologist
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: CT Scan
Position: Per Diem
Shift: Per Diem
Req #: 6085
Posted Date: Apr 21, 2023
The CT Scan Technologist operates x-ray and CT equipment to make radiographs and scans of designated portions of the body. The Licensed CT Technologist will work with the Radiologist to prepare patients to obtain diagnostic scans, utilizing radiology best practices and safety procedures.
- Adjusts x-ray equipment to correct setting for each examination, and positions and instructs patients and determines proper voltage, current and desired exposure time for each radiograph.
- Selects appropriate CT protocol for each CT examination.
- Properly screens CT patients prior to administration of intravenous and/or oral contrast media (including investigation of blood results, allergic history, etc.).
- Operates CT intravenous contrast injector with physician supervision (e.g., radiologist, ED MD, etc.).
- Arranges, attaches and adjusts immobilizing and supportive devices such as sandbags, binders and angle boards to obtain the precise position, prevent patients from moving, and lessen discomfort, and adjusts lead shield to protect unaffected parts of the body from exposure to radiation.
- Positions x-ray equipment at proper distance and angle from patient's body to present clear and undistorted view, adjusting cone to direct concentration of rays on specific areas.
- Steps behind protective enclosure and flips switch to activate machine which automatically cuts off at end of preset exposure time.
- Repeats exposure from slightly different angles as prescribed by physician.
- Follows same procedure to operate mobile x-ray equipment in the operating room, emergency room or at bedside.
- Prepares and administers barium salts or other chemical mixtures for patient to drink before internal organs are imaged, to assure that organs show clearly in the radiographic picture.
- Cleans and makes minor adjustments to equipment.
- Documents performance of radiological studies in electronic medical record (ConnectCare).
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served by the department including neonates, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatrics.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span, possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Prior diagnostic radiology experience with CT equipment required.
Graduate of an accredited AMA School of Radiology. Licenses / Certifications: Licensed by the State of New York. BLS certification, AART registered or eligible.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.