Job Title: Certified Diabetes Educator-RN
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Nursing/Nursing Management
Department: Diabetes Center
Position: Part Time
Req #: 519
Posted Date: Jun 10, 2021
The Certified Diabetes Educator RN provides necessary education in the management of diabetes to inpatients, outpatients as well as their families, and support persons to assist in adequate diabetes management. This is delivered in the form of assessments, insulin injection teaching, and blood sugar monitoring for Good Samaritan Hospital Center for Diabetes Education. The Certified Diabetes Educator RN also assists with the provision and coordination of all components of inpatient and outpatient diabetes education services.
- Completes a nursing assessment on each patient.
- Identifies age appropriate needs based on obtained subjective and objective data and provides plan of care.
- Makes decisions that reflect both knowledge of facts and sound judgment by utilizing age appropriate standards of care/practice, policies procedures.
- Monitors patients and assesses and reassesses their conditions and response.
- Develops a plan of care and measurable goals that are mutually set with patient/family.
- Implements appropriate nursing care as directed by assessment and planning and demonstrates sound nursing judgment appropriate resource utilization and compassionate, empathetic support for both patient and family.
- Assesses the patient on admission to the Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) program.
- Provides a complete written assessment of the patient upon admission to the DSME program and subsequently as indicated by CDE policy standards.
- Utilizing either nursing diagnosis or problem orientation, initiates a plan of care for diabetes management.
- Updates plan of care as necessary based on continuing assessments of the patient.
- Includes patient/family teaching in the plan of care as necessary indicated by physician.
- Anticipates potential patient problems and performs nursing actions to minimize those problems in a timely manner.
- Manages time effectively for proper balance between professional conferences and maintain certifications.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Assists in orientation of RN’s and other personnel when requested.
- Maintains positive working relationships with patients, employees and physicians through adherence to enhance the image of the Diabetes Center.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
NY RN License and Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist or qualified within 12 months. Clinical expertise in diabetes management.
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area’s leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children’s Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Good Samaritan Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.