Job Title: Certified Occupational Therapy Asst
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: General - Adult Psych
Union Name: 1199 - UHCWE
Position: Per Diem
Shift: Per Diem
Req #: 6764
Posted Date: Jul 12, 2023
Hiring Range: $26.74
The Certified Occupational Therapy Asst provides patient care by functionally evaluating the patient, and planning and utilizing a program of specialized activities to develop and maintain adaptive skills designed to achieve maximum physical and mental functioning of the patient's daily life tasks. The Occupational Therapist participates in patient rehabilitation of mental, physical, and emotional limitations and handicaps by providing therapeutic activities designed to aid the patient's physical function and mental response.
- Plans and conducts medically prescribed occupational therapy programs to facilitate the rehabilitation of mentally, physically or emotionally handicapped clients.
- Plans programs that include activities, such as manual arts and crafts, practice in function, prevocational, vocational and homemaking skills and activities of daily living, with participation in sensory motor, educational, recreational, and social activities designed to help patients regain physical or mental functioning or adjust to handicaps.
- Instructs patients in therapeutic self-help activities, such as the basic skills of eating, dressing, writing and the use of adapted equipment and prostheses.
- Evaluates patient to determine existing levels of function, interests, daily living skills and capacities.
- Consults with rehabilitation team to select activity programs that match the needs and capabilities of patient, and to coordinate occupational therapy activities with other therapeutic services, e.g., physical therapy.
- Assists in the adjustment phase of disabled patients.
- Plans and executes therapeutic exercises and skill drills including perceptual training.
- Administers specific treatment for the restoration of physical function to increase joint motion, muscle strength, manual dexterity and coordination.
- Designs and fits noncomplex (usually non-dynamic) splints, braces and adaptive devices under direct supervision and following a medical prescription.
- Selects constructive activities suited to patient's physical capacity, intelligence level and interest, to upgrade the patient to maximum independence, prepare the patient to return to employment, assist in the restoration of functions, and to aid in adjustment to the disability.
- Teaches patient's skills and techniques required for participation in activities.
- Instructs patients in painting, pottery making, basket weaving, rug making, on prescription of the psychiatric staff. · Observes patient's response to given activities, and evaluates and records patient's progress.
- Maintains records and charts, as required.
- Assists visually handicapped patients in adjusting to their limitations, and initiates their new learning skills.
- Instructs patients on adaptive equipment and work-living environment.
- Determines supplies and equipment for given activity and program.
- Lays out materials for patients use. · Cleans and repairs tools at end of sessions.
Previous experience as an Occupational Therapist preferred. License and current registration, issued by the New York State Education Department, as an Occupational Therapist; current BLS Certification required.
Bachelor's degree in Occupational Therapy from an accredited academic institution required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.