Job Title: Chemical Dependency Counselor
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Chemical Dependency
Position: Per Diem
Shift: Per Diem
Req #: 1971
Posted Date: Feb 21, 2022
The Counselor, Chemical Dependency acts as a case manager and serves as a member of a multi-disciplinary treatment team, coordinates and provides treatment for patients on assigned case load, completes psychosocial evaluations and maintains patient medical records in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements including 818 and 816 OASAS regulations. This position participates in discharge planning; performs screening interviews with prospective admissions when necessary, and maintains contact with referral sources during patient’s treatment.
- Assesses needs and provides medical care and treatment for adults who are chemically addicted.
- Interviews patients and completes psychosocial assessment including clinical impression and plan for intervention.
- Conducts individual, couple, family, and group clinical treatment as required.
- Counsels and instructs patient and family to formulate and review treatment plan and goals, and provides education on the disease of chemical dependence.
- Participates in management of emergencies and unanticipated situations.
- Makes appropriate referrals for after care treatment.
- Intervenes in domestic violence issues to preserve the safety of actual and potential victims.
- Ensures patient/visitors are oriented to the hospital.
- Addresses transference and counter transference issues in accordance with established procedures.
- Provides field instruction to counseling interns.
- Educates other hospital staff, agency staff, and the general public about the range of behavioral health services available at Good Samaritan Hospital and other facilities.
- Participates in implementation of quality assurance measures.
Minimum of one year counseling experience in a chemical dependency setting required. CASAC-T or CASAC required. LMSW/LCSW, or LMHC. Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively as part of a team. Demonstrates knowledge of chemical dependency and mental health concepts.
A high school diploma or equivalency required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.