Job Title: Chief Scientific Officer
Company: WMC Advanced Physician Services PC
City/State: Valhalla, NY
Department: Clinical Labs- WMC Health
Position: Full Time
Req #: 19118
Posted Date: Sep 22, 2021
Under general supervision of the Director of Pathology and Laboratory Services, the Chief Scientific officer is responsible for directing and coordinating all scientific and technical aspects of the operation of the Clinical Laboratory which includes setting administrative and clinical policy, coordinating activities of the technical and support staff, providing technical direction and interpretations and performing critical evaluations of new and existing procedures. Responsibility also involves ensuring compliance with all standards, rules and requirements set by all regulatory agencies. As a subject matter expert, there will be consultation with other divisions of the Laboratory and departments of the Medical Center, as well as with clinicians, scientific colleagues, external experts and investigators. The Scientific Officer will be involved in educational activities as needed.
- Provides leadership and direction in the scientific and technical aspects of operation of the Clinical Laboratories
- Develops tests and assays in the area of expertise.
- Develops and implements standards, practices, and procedures for the operation, organization and management of the Clinical Laboratories in accordance with established Westchester Medical Center Policies, and all regulatory requirements and accreditation standards including CAP, CLIA and NYS.
- Determines, develops and monitors the tests and procedures performed by the Clinical Laboratories and implements best practices in an environment of continuous improvement.
- Ensures that there are sufficient qualified personnel with adequate documented training and experience to meet the needs of the laboratory
- Interprets test results, and authorizes written reports in a timely manner. Provides consultations about the significance of laboratory data.
- Relate and function effectively with applicable accrediting and regulatory agencies, appropriate administrative officials, the medical community, and the medical device industry.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations, particularly those relating to safety measures to avoid physical, chemical and biological hazards;
- Develops budget proposals for staffing, equipment and supplies and monitors them to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the laboratory within cost containment requirements;
- Provides training for new technologists and continuing education for regular staff in order to keep them abreast of developments of new techniques or improvements in published or existing methods;
- Provides educational training for the medical and laboratory staff and participates in the Pathology residency and other educational activities as necessary.
- Four years of clinical laboratory experience in a leadership role, in an approved clinical, hospital, or public health lab.
- A physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York or graduation from a recognized university with a Ph.D.* in a chemical, physical or biological science
- *Special Note: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
Licenses / Certifications:
- Certificate of Qualification or eligible as a Laboratory Director in at least one of the subdisciplines issued by the New York State Department of Health. Chemistry, Hematology, Molecular, or Toxicology preferred.
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC