Job Title: Clerk/Phlebotomist
Company: MidHudson Regional Hospital
City/State: Poughkeepsie, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Laboratory Central
Union Name: 1199
Position: Full Time
Hours: Sun-Sat 11AM to 7PM
Shift: Day, Evening
Req #: 32204
Posted Date: Oct 11, 2022
Under the direction of the Lab Central Supervisor/Coordinator, the Clerk/Phlebotomist functions as a phlebotomist following procedures and policies for collection, handling and transport of biological specimens. Participates in the reception and clerical aspects of both inpatient and outpatient testing. Phlebotomy function is a 24/7 operation within the hospital location. Staff is required to work rotating weekends and holidays and may be required to work varied and/or additional hours/shifts based on departmental needs. May be required to travel to offsite locations and perform specimen collections
- Performs venipuncture and other specimen collection procedures according to established protocol. Monitors workflow volumes independently and adjusts duties according to department and patient needs.
- Independently performs venipuncture in other hospital departments (e.g. ED). Travels off-site and performs venipuncture collection at off-site locations as needed.
- Functions as a highly-skilled phlebotomist and serves as a resource for patients with difficult veins.
- Promptly reports to all codes as required and assists in expediting specimen receipt to laboratory.
- Assesses quality and appropriateness (QNS, clotted, labeling, proper collection/container, etc. of specimens and follows through accordingly (redraw, notification of nursing unit, etc.) and completes necessary quality documentation.
- Adheres to established benchmark when collecting stat, timed, round and routine specimens (follows established benchmark of 6 minutes per patient).
- Follows protocol for the handling and transport of biological/infectious specimens.
- Prints, monitors and signs off on LIS reports to ensure that all specimens are collected within appropriate timeframes.
- Works additional hours and/or shifts in event of unplanned absences or unplanned work capacity.
- Addresses patients upon arrival at desk in a courteous and professional manner.
- Accurately captures all orders for testing, ensuring proper ordering physician and distributes specimens to main laboratory.
- Accurately correlates orders with specimens ensuring proper identification of specimen and follows up with unit as needed.
- Performs outpatient registrations for specimens received from outside locations (e.g. Homecare, assisted living centers)
- Performs insurance verification using on-line resource and follows through with any discrepancies.
- Scans patient information into appropriate HIS categories
- Performs other related duties as directed. Assists supervisor by performing special projects and/or ongoing advanced responsibilities.
- One-year phlebotomy experience preferred.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Completion of a phlebotomy program/course or on-the-job training in phlebotomy and minimum of three years experience.
- Clerical experience desirable.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and computer data entry experience strongly preferred.
Licenses / Certifications:
- ASCP accreditation / certification highly desirable
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials.
- Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- 24 /7 operation may require individual to work hours and/or shifts beyond their regularly scheduled hours/shift.
- The position requires individual to work rotating weekends and holidays and may be required to work varied and/or additional hours/shifts based on departmental needs.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley’s most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area’s only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.