Job Title: Clerk/Phlebotomist
Company: MidHudson Regional Hospital
City/State: Poughkeepsie, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Laboratory Central
Union Name: 1199
Position: Full Time
Hours: Sun-Sat 1PM to 9PM
Shift: Day, Evening
Req #: 32756
Posted Date: Nov 22, 2022
Under the direction of the Lab Central Supervisor/Coordinator, the Clerk/Phlebotomist functions as a phlebotomist following procedures and policies for collection, handling and transport of biological specimens. Participates in the reception and clerical aspects of both inpatient and outpatient testing. Phlebotomy function is a 24/7 operation within the hospital location. Staff is required to work rotating weekends and holidays and may be required to work varied and/or additional hours/shifts based on departmental needs. May be required to travel to offsite locations and perform specimen collections
- Performs venipuncture and other specimen collection procedures according to established protocol. Monitors workflow volumes independently and adjusts duties according to department and patient needs.
- Independently performs venipuncture in other hospital departments (e.g. ED). Travels off-site and performs venipuncture collection at off-site locations as needed.
- Functions as a highly-skilled phlebotomist and serves as a resource for patients with difficult veins.
- Promptly reports to all codes as required and assists in expediting specimen receipt to laboratory.
- Assesses quality and appropriateness (QNS, clotted, labeling, proper collection/container, etc. of specimens and follows through accordingly (redraw, notification of nursing unit, etc.) and completes necessary quality documentation.
- Adheres to established benchmark when collecting stat, timed, round and routine specimens (follows established benchmark of 6 minutes per patient).
- Follows protocol for the handling and transport of biological/infectious specimens.
- Prints, monitors and signs off on LIS reports to ensure that all specimens are collected within appropriate timeframes.
- Works additional hours and/or shifts in event of unplanned absences or unplanned work capacity.
- One-year phlebotomy experience preferred.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Completion of a phlebotomy program/course or on-the-job training in phlebotomy and minimum of three year’s experience.
- Clerical experience desirable.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and computer data entry experience strongly preferred.
- ASCP accreditation / certification highly desirable.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley’s most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area’s only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.