Job Title: Clinical Lab Technologist
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Union Name: 1199B
Position: Per Diem
Hours: shift 2
Shift: Per Diem
Req #: 6954
Posted Date: Aug 08, 2023
Hiring Range: $49.59
The Clinical Lab Technologist performs laboratory technical duties such as patient testing and reporting, quality control and equipment function checks and maintenance according to established policies and procedures
- Incumbent may be asked to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically stated in this description.
- The duties and responsibilities of the position are to be carried out in a manner that is consistent with the mission, values and operating principles of Bon Secours.
- Knows related policies and procedures.
- Performs patient testing, including patient preparation, specimen collection, handling, processing and testing in a timely manner.
- Performs computer functions to process test orders including test ordering printing labels, recording correct collection and receipt times, crediting/ cancelling orders, resulting and patient inquiry functions.
- Troubleshoots orders and provides proper communication to the clinician as appropriate.
- Prioritizes work appropriately with Stat testing performed within established guidelines.
- Notifies the appropriate party when a delay is anticipated as per protocol.
- Records and reports test results appropriately. Calls the appropriate person with critical values in a timely manner.
- Performs and records all required quality control testing.
- Troubleshoots as necessary. Documents all corrective action.
- Performs instrument function checks and maintenance with proper documentation.
- Effectively communicates with laboratory staff to assure effective and efficient operations.
- Assists in the training of technologist/technicians.
- Notifies immediate supervisor of issues and concerns as appropriate.
- Notifies immediate supervisor when supply levels are low.
- Assures the required number of continuing education credits are maintained annually.
- Assures licensure is current and submits license renewals in a timely manner.
- Assists in the Quality Control program activities such as quality control review, equipment maintenance and function checks. Serves as a resource for laboratory technicians as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS The Medical Technologist works under the direct supervision of their immediate Laboratory Manager.
Valid New York State Department of Health license as a laboratory technologist. Must meet NYS personnel guidelines to function as a supervisor (a minimum of six years relevant work experience). National registration preferred (NCA/ASCP) Work requires demonstrated interpersonal skills to communicate tactfully, effectively and with discretion.
B.S. Degree in Medical Technology or related sciences, or meets standards set forth by New York State Department of Health, Division of Laboratories.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area’s leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children’s Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.