Job Title: Clinical Lab Technologist
Company: WMC Advanced Physician Services PC
City/State: Valhalla, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Clinical Labs- WMC Health
Position: Full Time
Hours: 7-3:30PM Monday - Friday alternating weekends
Req #: 12913
Posted Date: Aug 28, 2019
This is a hospitalbased position located at Westchester Medical Center
The Clinical Lab Technologist is responsible for performingspecialized technical analyses of blood specimens leading to the diagnosis andtreatment of diseases. Responsibility also involves ensuring the receipt,recording, grouping and labeling of specimens and the communication of testresults to the attending physician.
- Performs various types of clinical analyses in hematology and coagulation on blood specimens;
- Conducts tests such as (but not limited to) complete blood count (CBC), differential, sickle cell, malaria, reticulocyte count, and sedimentation rate on blood and bodily fluids;
- Interprets test results and issues written reports;
- Reports findings on cultures, sensitivities and stained smears;
- Operates automated or specialized equipment and provides instruction, as needed;
- Confers with attending or referral physician on test results, and ensures their immediate notification when the critical limits of specified test results are exceeded, presenting a life threatening circumstance for the patient;
- Provides technical assistance as needed in hematology;
- Participates in feasibility studies in setting up new procedures;
- Implements quality control measures, documenting remedial action taken for detected deficiencies and defects;
- Ensures the proper preparing, storing, dispensing and periodic evaluation of all solid and liquid reagents to assure the accuracy and precision of test results;
- May provide training to new technologists/technicians in the area of specialization;
- Keeps abreast of developments of new techniques or improvements in published or existing methods;
- Attends workshops, conferences and meetings.
Good knowledge of the principles, techniques,procedures, instrumentation and safety precautions in the field of medicaltechnology, particularly as they apply in the field of hematology; knowledge ofinfectious diseases; skill in the operation, calibration, troubleshooting androutine maintenance of modern laboratory equipment and instrumentation,including automated equipment used in hematology; ability to understand, followand explain medical and technical instruction; ability to provide technicalconsultation to physicians and nurses; ability to implement quality controlstandards; ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate inEnglish sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position; abilityto use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail anddatabase software; thoroughness; dependability; accuracy; sound professionaljudgment; physical condition commensurate with the requirements of theposition.
A Bachelor’s degree in MedicalTechnology (or equivalent experience)
Licenses / Certifications:
Either:(a) at time of permanent appointment, possession of a license and currentregistration as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist issued by the New York StateEducation Department; or (b) at time of temporary appointment, possession of alimited permit as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or restricted license topractice clinical laboratory technology at Westchester Medical Center issued bythe New York State Education Department.