Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Company: HealthAlliance Hospital
City/State: Kingston, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Full Time
Shift: Days/Every other weekend
Req #: 37224
Posted Date: Nov 03, 2023
Hiring Range: $45.59
Processes, and analyzes biological specimens according to defined procedures using independent judgment, effectively integrating the pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic components in the process. Follows established protocol for quality assurance and quality improvement. Recognizes problems and actively participates in problem resolution. May supervise co-workers and evaluate technical staff competencies.
Laboratory Analysis and Related Duties
- Performs routine and special analysis of specimens according to established protocol. Consistently seeks/consults other departments to assist in workflow efficiencies when immediate tasks are completed, in order to expedite patient care.
- Recognizes abnormal or inconsistent test results and follows through accordingly.
- Follows protocol for critical/panic values.
- Reviews co-workers reports where appropriate, for release.
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies in all applicable testing areas. Demonstrates competency in all clinical departments and limited Microbiology.
- Performs quality control procedures according to established protocol.
- Follows through with corrective action and documentation when appropriate. Proactively alerts supervisor to quality control trends and other potential problems.
- Actively participates in department-based Quality Improvement projects.
- Assists supervisor and/or co-workers with test method comparisons, correlation studies or other validation studies for new or current test systems. Assists supervisor in collating data, material, etc. for quality management programs
- Performs routine preventive maintenance of all departmental equipment/instruments.
- Maintains department inventory, communicating effectively with Supervisor or designee when inventory is low, in order to assure continuity of patient testing.
- Recognizes instrument malfunction and/or reagent problems and is able to perform problem-solving/ troubleshooting measures.
- Is able to troubleshoot and repair instrumentation problems. Independently initiates communication with service/vendor in order to problem solve instrumentation/ equipment. Acts independently to determine alternative testing procedures.
- Acts as a technical resource for students, technical staff, physicians and other professional staff.
- Participates in the continuing education programs offered in the respective department, cross-trained departments and through the hospital. Initiates and presents a department-specific in-service related to education of staff. Expands knowledge in the field through continuing education; e.g., seminars, outside programs, on-line programs.
- Interfaces with clinicians during off-hours and answers questions/concerns related to laboratory tests, procedures, collection information, etc.
- Performs venipuncture duties within assigned timeframe for routine, timed and stat orders.
- Reports to codes as required within established timeframe and follows all technical and administrative protocol.
- Accurately correlates orders with specimens ensuring proper identification of specimen and follows up with unit as needed.
- Assesses quality and appropriateness (QNS, clotted, labeling, proper collection/container, etc.) of specimens and follows through accordingly (redraw, notification of nursing unit, etc.).
- Is able to demonstrate effective utilization of computer systems to perform testing for patient care functions. Identifies/makes recommendations for process improvements related to LIS, test analyzers and/or manual test methods. (ES)
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Assists supervisor in performing a special project or initiative.
- Must satisfy one of the educational and training pathways for Clinical Laboratory Technician as outlined in the NYS Education Law through either the standard pathway or one of the special provisions pathways.
- Current licensure in New York State as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or
- Verification of pending application to NYS as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist and a Limited Permit to Practice Clinical Laboratory Technology (Note: Application of Limited Permit to NYS Ed occurs once individual is hired into the position)
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- Certification in a national accrediting agency preferred.
Benefits:We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes:
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Flexible Saving Account
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement