Job Title: Clinical Technician
Company: HealthAlliance Hospital
City/State: Kingston, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Emergency Room
Union Name: 1199
Position: Part Time
Shift: Day, Evening
Req #: 34209
Posted Date: Mar 10, 2023
Works collaboratively with the health care team, under the direct supervision of the RN, to provide direct patient care, maintain E.D., ICU, O.B., or Med Surg. Environment and perform various clerical duties. Candidates for this position must obtain written approval from their Nurse Manager/Director in order to apply. Job
The following is a summary of the essential functions of this job. The employee may perform other duties, both major and minor, that are not mentioned below; and specific functions may change from time to time.
- Documents information on patient records/computer consistent with policies to include vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse and respiration), pulse oximetry. I & O, weights, heights, etc. and point of care testing (glucometer results etc.). Review CALS with the Charge Nurse to ensure awareness of pertinent patient needs and plans for the day. (If partnered with a licensed person, review with partner.)
- Responsible for meeting the personal hygiene needs of the patient to include skin care, oral hygiene, etc. Assist with ambulation of patient, position change, bed making and use of air mattress, use of maxi slide and lifts; transporting interdepartmental patients with emphasis on safety and prioritization. Assists patients with elimination/empty bedpans/urinals/ and perineal care; handwashing and use of gloves; strip/clean discharged patients rooms.
- Will be responsible for the following procedures: Enemas: tap water, soap suds; follows plan of care after nursing assessment. Non-sterile dressing change; emptying of post-op drainage devices (additional to Foley bags); set up oxygen and suction equipment; applies pulse ox; performs EKGs and applies telemetry.
- As directed by the Nurse Manager or Charge Nurse, responsible for keeping the department neat, ordering supplies, and restocking rooms. Responsible for making sure equipment needing repair is sent to BioMed.
- Weights: standing and bed scale; nutrition: setting up patient and feeding patient; specimen collection: stool, sputum, urine – clean catch and 24 hours; Foley catheter care and emptying Foley bag; apply external catheter; ice bag/pack; spitz bath; patient restraints.
- Application of Flowtron device; application of Teds stockings; use of special equipment; cooling and warming devices, lifting and transporting devices (including maxi slide, Hoyer lift, etc.) traction set up and removal and storage of traction equipment.
- Knowledge of location of other departments to assist with necessary equipment/supplies; conveys communication between Ancillary Departments and Nursing floors, understands isolation/standard precautions; answering of call lights; verbalizes knowledge of emergency situations; code blue, code Adam, etc. Discharge of patients – transport.
- Ability to observe and report necessary information/changes to nurse: physical limitations, cultural needs, age specific needs, emotional needs, pain needs, IV needs. Assist in emergency situations (i.e., chest compressions, RRT codes, code blue, helping lift patient after fall, patients who require 1:1 sitter, etc.).
- Recognizes chain of command; i.e., charge nurse and off-shift supervisors; demonstrates independent thinking; understanding of and compliance with patient confidentiality; point of care testing – finger sticks, blood, etc. postmortem care and transport of body to morgue and release of body to funeral director.
- Assures that all O2 tanks are stored safely, are operational and replaced on all units as needed.
- Is able to successfully pass basic telemetry class, is able to identify life-threatening rhythms and notifies appropriate personnel as needed.
- Obtains pertinent registration information from patient and/or family, enters into computer/chart.
- Demonstrates knowledge of order entry system (e.g., enters orders, charges, reprinting orders).
- Performs phlebotomies as directed by R.N. (E.D. only).
- Performs a wide range of duties such as transporting of patients, maintaining log books, copying charts, filing, JCAHO and Performance Improvement data collection, and other duties as assigned.
- Competencies as a surgical scrub tech (O.B. ONLY).
- Serves as a preceptor for PCT I’s and PCT II’s.
- Exhibits competency and demonstrates knowledge in handling unit specific equipment
- Sets up for special procedures.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- High school or equivalent required.
- Completion of a CNA training program or one semester of nursing school/clinical experiencepreferred, but not required.
- Six months of CNA or direct patient care experience preferred, preferably in a hospital setting
- Preference is given to EMS trained staff
- BLS Certification through the American Heart Association
- Full Time and Part Time staff require a minimum of two weekend shifts in a four-week time block.
- Per Diem staff require a minimum of one weekend shift in a four-week block.