Job Title: Community Paramedic Coordinator, NP
Company: Bon Secours Charity Medical Group
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Advanced Clinical Provider
Department: Admin - Orange County
Position: Full Time
Req #: 147
Posted Date: Apr 27, 2021
The Community Paramedicine (“CP”) Coordinator will lead the Community Paramedicine Program and work collaboratively with Rockland Paramedic Services (“RPS”) to address the issues of complex patients who use the Emergency Department. This is a new program which will focus on multiple visits patients to prevent unnecessary emergency department visits, hospital admissions, and/or readmissions. The CP Coordinator shall be Hudson Valley Regional Emergency Medical Services Council (“HVREMSCO”) certified for medical control and be responsible for coordinating the identified patient cohort for follow up by the community paramedic. The CP Coordinator will conduct telephonic health assessments and work directly with the Community Paramedics (“CPs”) to ensure that patients receive the right care, in the right place and at the right time. This position shall be full time with hours to be determined. Ideal candidate shall be flexible with schedule.
- The CP Coordinator shall report directly to the Vice-President of Population Health and have a dotted line to the Medical Director of Emergency Services.
- Serve as the Medical Control of the CP Program and be certified by the HVREMSCO. Provide oversight of the CPs including all aspects of patient care.
- Provide clear, concise instructions to the CPs, which are within their scope of practice. Maintain knowledge levels appropriate for a Medical Control Physician Assistant and/or Nurse Practitioner, through continued education, as required by the Hudson Valley Regional Emergency Medical Advisory Committee (“REMAC”) and NYS DOH.
- Actively outreach and enroll patients in the CP Program and assist GSH case managers in evaluating and enrolling potential new patients prior to discharge, from the hospital.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with local service area primary care/specialty providers to facilitate referrals and enrollment of new patients in the CP Program.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with the GSH acute care management team and for developing processes to facilitate enrollment of hospital patients into the CP Program.
- Meet daily with the CPs as well as case management to discuss enrolled patients and any needed clinical visits for the day. Responsible for the CP Program hotline number, assess, triage, treat with the consult of the primary care provider/ED director, and/or dispatch a CP to the caller’s home for further evaluation.
- If the call does not require CP assistance, the Coordinator shall schedule an appointment for the patient for the appropriate level of care that the situation requires, i.e. BH care, primary or specialty care. Based on the CP’s assessment, the Coordinator will determine the patient’s need for mental health, alcohol or substance abuse, medical and/or a social care.
- The coordinator shall provide a comprehensive response to each call and offer the right services at the right time, whether it’s a visit by the CP, an appointment with a primary care provider/specialist, or referral to community based services.
- Coordinator shall be culturally competent and trained in providing crisis assistance. Responsible for clinical/administrative duties, as determined by the Vice President, Population Health and/or Director of Emergency Services, to ensure quality of care and patient safety and well-being to emergency department patients and those enrolled in the community paramedic program.
- Ensure all information is kept confidential and HIPAA compliant.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Experience: Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Minimum of 2 years of clinical experience as an APC providing emergency department or inpatient care services preferred. Proficiency with using electronic medical record system. Obtain and /or maintain Hudson Valley REMAC Medical Control Credentials. Knowledge of the design and operation of the Medical Control System. Trained in and thoroughly familiar with EMS levels of training and responsibilities as well as the responsibilities of a medical control physician. Excellent communication and organization skills.
Graduate level degree w/ certification as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant degree or higher Licenses / Certifications: New York State Licensed Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant required. ACLS certification required. Must obtain and/or Maintain Hudson Valley REMAC Medical Control Credentials. Other: Other duties as neede
Bon Secours Charity Medical Group
Bon Secours Charity Medical Group, part of Bon Secours Charity Health Systems (BSCHS), a regional network of more than 120 primary care physicians and specialists from a broad array of medical specialties. BSCHS, a member of WMCHealth Network, includes Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY and St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Bon Secours Charity Medical Group will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.