Job Title: Director, Crisis Care and Patient Placement
Company: WMC Advanced Physician Services PC
City/State: Valhalla, NY
Department: Mental Health
Position: Full Time
Hours: M-F 9-5
Req #: 30180
Posted Date: May 10, 2022
: TheDirector, Crisis Care and Patient Placement (CCPP) leads centralized bed managementandcentralized transfer processesfor all facilities treating mental health and substance abuse patients in the Westchester Medical Center Health Network (WMCHealth). In support of these responsibilities, the Director manages select behavioral health clinical staff assigned to the Health Alliance and Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital Emergency Departments (Network EDs), coordinates with Consult Liaison Psychiatry regarding services for Network EDs and other WMCHealth clinical programs, facilitates use of secure telehealth infrastructure to provide urgent psychiatric care throughout WMCHealth, and develops policies and procedures related to these areas of responsibility as well as development of metrics to ensure measurable success.
- Leads development ofpatient flow processes and metrics, including collaboration with nursing, social work, physician, and mid-level provider staff and leaders working in emergency, inpatient, or other settings.
- Is responsible and accountable for strategy, design, and operational aspects of designated behavioral health telemedicine services.
- Leads strategic, tactical and performance improvement planning.
- Recruits, hires and supervises (a) non-physician/non-NP clinical staff assigned 24/7 to Network EDs to assess and facilitate disposition of patients in behavioral crisis, and (b) administrative staff in WMCHealth’s 24/7 centralized Admissions Processing Unit (APU), which coordinates clinical review, acceptance and processing of inter-facility behavioral health transfers and bed placement.
- Provides expert and hands-on clinical review and guidance to staff and network stakeholders regarding behavioral health patient placements.
- Collaborates with leadership in the Behavioral Health (BH) service line, and WMCHealth Leadership, to ensure sites provide high quality, cost-effective care.
- Acts as primary BH liaison to WMCHealth’s Transfer Center, which facilitates all patient transfers throughout WMCHealth for all services, and to partner organizations and other agencies outside WMCHealth providing patient linkages for crisis care.
- Emergent Psychiatry Services: Manages staffing and clinical practice of qualified health professionals assessing and facilitating disposition of psychiatry patients presenting to Network EDs, and acts as primary liaison to Emergency Department and Psychiatry Department physicians and other clinical staff and leadership involved in behavioral health care in Network EDs.
- Consult Liaison Psychiatry: Coordinates use of Consult Liaison Psychiatry services for patient care in Network EDs, and also monitors consultations to inpatient med/surg units for impact on patient transfers.
- Regulatory: Ensures appropriate management and supervision for effective delivery of patient care services and the provision of ancillary services in accordance with NY State Department of Health, NYS Office of Mental Health (NYS OMH), New York State Office of Addictions Services and Supports (OASAS), the New York State Justice Center (JC), DNV, The Joint Commission, and other regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Inpatient Admitting: Ensures the timely bed assignment and registration of inpatients from all admission sources. Continues refinement of patient placement protocols through collaboration with physician groups, clinical services and ancillary departments as appropriate. Establishes policies and procedures related to bed management activities. Develops and monitors established metrics to ensure performance requirements are achieved.
- Admissions Processing Unit (APU): Oversees centralized transfer processes, including participation in clinical review of cases as necessary to ensure timely and safe patient transfers. Collaborates with physician leaders to ensure that APU policies meet clinical standards. Develops and monitors established metrics to ensure performance requirements are achieved.
- Patient Transport: Oversees patient transport function and ensures that transport trip times remain within target range. Ensures that bed turn-around-time remains at target ranges for all sites through monitoring. Establishes policies and procedures related to transport activities between WMCHealth facilities. Develops and monitors established metrics to ensure performance requirements are achieved.
- Centralized Ambulance Transport: Collaborates in negotiations for ambulance contracts. Assists in the development and refinement of ambulance transport process flow. Monitors ambulance transport performance through analysis of data as collected for CCPP and provided from Transfer Center.
- Responsible for the analysis, planning, implementation and evaluation of telehealth opportunities in areas of responsibility. Responsible for leading and participating in cross functional strategic, tactical and performance improvement planning of telehealth applications. Oversees implementation and ongoing measure of same.
- Monitors regulatory requirements for the application of telehealth in areas of responsibility as well as market and competitors to identify opportunities, positioning, and threats to WMCHealth behavioral health telehealth strategy.
- Inpatient Referrals: Lead growth initiative through collaboration with service lines and external facilities for inpatient transfer/referrals.
- Monitors and reviews clinical outcome and patient safety measures.
- Champions continuous improvement activities.
- Develops operating and project budgets.
- Reviews operating budget and project budget variance trends and macro action plans (revenue and expense). Develops action plans when necessary.
- Oversees required results/enforce accountability.
- Reviews charge capture denial trends and develops action plans.
- Researches evolving regulation and compliance standard for behavioral health telehealth.
- Directs compliance with policies and regulatory agency standards.
- Participates in the strategic planning process for the service line.
- Provides and maintains effective communications within areas of responsibility, the community, and all levels of leadership and staff.
- Builds necessary linkages/relationships with WMCHealth personnel and external entities (vendors, consultants, etc) to facilitate success of assignment.
At least seven years’ experience in a health care setting, including at least three years in behavioral health, where the primary function in one or more prior positions was the supervision and administration of complex clinical processes.
- Clinical credential, e.g. NP, PA, RN, LCSW, or LMHC, and point-of-care clinical experience required, in urgent or acute psychiatric care preferred.
- Licenses / Certifications. Clinical credential, e.g. NP, PA, RN, LCSW, or LMHC, and point-of-care clinical experience required, in urgent or acute psychiatric care preferred.
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC