Job Title: Director, Nursing
Company: St Anthony Community Hospital
City/State: Warwick, NY
Category: Nursing/Nursing Management
Department: Operating Room
Position: Full Time
Hours: 7am -3pm
Req #: 3704
Posted Date: Jul 15, 2022
The Director, Nursing is responsible for the overall direction and management of the Surgical Services at St. Anthony Community Hospital. Surgical Services includes the departments of Pre-Admission Testing, Operating Room, PACU, Anesthesia, Ambulatory Surgery, Endoscopy, Infusion Therapy, and Interventional Radiology. Effectively directs the utilization of resources (people, financial, material and equipment) to meet the established goals and objectives of the system surgical services. Establishes operating priorities to ensure activities support the system’s strategies plan while maintaining fiscal responsibility. Collaborates and implements the necessary action plans to accomplish the duties and responsibilities in a collaborative fashion throughout the system.
- Develops and recommends short and long term goals for surgical services and formulates a plan of resources and timelines to successfully achieve these goals.
- Manages, directs and coordinates the operation of the department assuring maximum utilization of available resources. Interviews, hires, onboards, and trains departmental personnel while ensuring that annual educational and competency requirements are met.
- Develops overall staffing patterns for the department according to benchmarks and environmental factors.
- Selects, evaluates and disciplines departmental personnel.
- Responsible for efficient interdepartmental and intradepartmental communications.
- Develops various departmental and system reports as requested.
- Ensures high quality services by working with physician specialist including surgeons, anesthesiologist, radiologists, cardiologist, gastroenterologist, radiologist and oncologist.
- Investigates and studies trends and developments in the department practices and techniques and develops new procedures to reflect applicable advances in the field.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations for capital purchase of operating room equipment in conjunction with physicians’ input.
- Prepares project scope, financial forecast, volume projections and capital expenses for any new project within the hospital or system.
- Ensures that there exists accurate revenue capture for the department. Markets and develops strategies to improve volumes and increase business.
- Provides information and input, and formulates recommendations into the development of patient charges, and current and new surgical services.
- Serves as an administrative resource person for specific projects and demographic data necessary to prepare CONs, special projects, etc.
- Establishes departmental objectives and annual budget in collaboration with physicians, the VP/Hospital Administrator, and Fiscal Services staff.
- Reviews objectives monthly to ensure attainment and justifies expenditures.
- Prepares capital budget requests following hospital policy per acquisition.
- Ensures professional development for all staff.
- Provides guidance and assistance to staff with technical problems when necessary.
- Instructs Surgical Services employees in new techniques.
- Continually works to upgrade skills of all Surgical Services employees.
- Participates in programs, which explain and promote surgical services careers throughout the community.
- Participates, coordinates, and reports out on Performance Improvement activities.
- Completes budget variance reports and delineates reasons for variances.
- Manages business of the Department within budgetary guidelines.
- Responsible for fiscal profitability of Surgical Services.
- Serves as a member of various committees (hospital, system and medical staff).
- Collaborates with the nursing leadership group during the daily bed huddle.
- Assumes weekly supervisor or as needed including Administrator on Call duties as assigned.
Work requires working knowledge of activities and services related to surgical services, as well as demonstrated managerial and leadership ability at a level generally acquired during five to seven years of progressively more responsible experience within Surgical Services. Work requires previous experience in Surgical Services that emphasized planning and directing the work activities of a large, complex area, developing and monitoring budgets, developing goals and objectives and supervising a large number of technical, clinical and clerical employees. Operating Room experience preferred. Must be a Registered Nurse licensed to practice in New York State. CNOR preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required. Master’s degree in business management, healthcare administration or equivalent is preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
St Anthony Community Hospital
For over 75 years, St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY, has been serving the residents of Orange County, NY, and New Jersey’s Sussex and Passaic counties with outstanding and compassionate care. The 60-bed hospital has been a primary resource for emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services. Also on campus is the Mount Alverno Center, a state-approved adult home with an assisted-living program serving 85 residents, and Schervier Pavilion, a 120-bed skilled-nursing facility dedicated to the highest standard of healthcare excellence.