Job Title: Director, Nursing
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Nursing Support
Department: General Education
Position: Full Time
Req #: 6
Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
The Director, Nursing Education plans, organizes and supervises a comprehensive nursing education program, evaluates nursing education practices, and establishes hospital wide standards of practice in accordance with New York State Education Department standards and regulations. The Director, Nursing Education develops and implements unit education activities to meet assessed needs for staff development, new employee orientation, and students and develops course content and curriculum.
- Develops course content and curriculum.
- Coordinates clinical and academic instruction, and provides guidance to students and instructors as required.
- Establishes qualifications for all levels of nursing staff.
- Directs the development of nursing in-service education programs, and monitors progress to ensure quality education is provided and maintained.
- Recommends staffing ratio mixes and staffing patterns.
- Directs the maintenance of a comprehensive record system of reporting staff development and training, including type of instruction and clinical experience in accordance with applicable regulatory regulations.
- Facilitates and provides framework for the nursing staff in the acquisition and application of clinical practice skills, theoretical knowledge based on evidenced based practice guidelines, and decision-making skills.
- Monitors staff compliance with ongoing registration and licensing requirements in accordance with New York State Education Department.
- Coordinates and oversees orientation process of new personnel and the maintenance of current competencies.
- Utilizes data from process improvement and quality studies, written needs assessments, management requests, and trends in healthcare literature and law to identify educational needs of nursing staff.
- Oversees the educational process and professional development of school affiliations for undergraduate and graduate nursing students, reviews documentation of care and documentation processes of nursing students and staff in computer based charting system.
- Develops and distributes clinical publications, and makes presentations on clinical topics and issues.
- Promotes staff education through the education newsletter Healthstream© (LMS) modules, self-learning modules, in-services, and classroom instruction.
- Leads the development, evaluation, and revision of standards, policies, and procedures within an area of expertise.
- Utilizes specialized software and computer based charting system to support the creation, enhancement or revision of nursing policies and procedures.
- Leads the Education Council to facilitate and/or coordinate all educational activities including self-study, classroom, outside seminars and in-services.
- Oversees Nursing Quality Program, NDNQI, and collection of nurse sensitive indicators, and recommends quality improvement measures.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and reporting. · Effectively uses automated systems to perform work assignments.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Must hold a current license as a registered nurse in New York State. AACN certification preferred. Five years nursing practice experience including three in management and education required. Experience in acute care setting preferred
A Master’s degree in nursing or education is required, doctoral degree is preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area’s leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children’s Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Good Samaritan Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.