Job Title: Emt
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: WRM - HealthWorx
Hours: Per diem
Shift: All Shifts
Req #: 28596
Posted Date: Jan 13, 2022
The Emergency Medical Technician is responsible for performing a variety of duties under the direct supervision of a registered nurse. This position provides direct patient care in assigned units/departments and serves as a liaison between the unit, staff, auxiliary departments and the public.
- Handles emergencies using BLS and techniques.
- Provides appropriate care to all age groups (neonates, pediatrics, adolescents, adults, and geriatrics).
- Performs 12 lead EKG and obtains other clinical data including: temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, O2 saturation and records results in the patient record.
- Provides constant observation of designated patients and notifies licensed nursing personnel of situations requiring immediate attention.
- Applies bandages, slings, hypothermia blankets according to standard as directed by RN.
- Participates in the care and stay of patients including room/bed preparation, making sure their belongings are appropriately labeled with patient ID, dressing and undressing, and discharge of the patient if applicable.
- Assists patient with toileting and personal cleanliness as needed to maintain suitable hygiene.
- Prepares respiratory equipment as needed.
- Properly cleans contaminated equipment according to established guidelines.
- Assists with lifting and positioning patients.
- Transports patients to ancillary departments and inpatient units.
- Provides post-mortem care.
- Replenishes and orders supplies as needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient, hospital or physician related information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Minimum one-year experience as an EMT.
High School Graduate or equivalent.
Licenses / Certifications:
Successful completion of an approved New York State EMT-B or AEMT course with appropriate EMT certification. Must have current BLS and attend PCMS training within one year of hire.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.