Job Title: Maternity Technician
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Clerical/Administrative Support
Department: Labor & Delivery
Position: Full Time
Req #: 32
Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
The Maternity Technician is responsible for providing direct patient care for obstetrical and newborn patients in addition to performing specific clerical duties under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Participates in care of obstetrical and newborns patients; may perform perineal care, assist patient with ambulation and other personal care as needed, assists in the secure transfer of patients form stretcher to bed to OR table or vice versa, distributes fresh water, stocks linen cart, assists with transferring newborns and/or mothers from L&D to the mother baby unit as needed.
- Sends specimens via pneumatic tube or hand carries specimens to lab or pathology.
- Sets up delivery rooms as directed by the L&D RN.
- Cleans instruments and places them properly in the case cart.
- Restocks delivery, labor suites, and operating rooms with designated equipment and supplies.
- Performs as scrub technician.
- Provides clerical assistance as needed.
- Maintains maternal & newborn safety & security: infant security system, newborn security & safety processes, Code Pink response, shared hourly rounding, etc.
- Adheres to maternal and newborn patient identification procedures.
- Maintains and develops competencies through annual renewal and ongoing educational programs/offerings.
- Provides care within scope of practice in units such as the NICU & mother baby unit as needed.
- Communicates identified deficiencies/problems in a timely manner to the appropriate RN.
- Promptly notifies licensed nursing personnel of situations which require immediate attention.
- Maintains knowledge of special diets and dietary restrictions as directed by the RN.
- Delivers accurate report to RN, peers, and other health team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Previous experience in scrubbing and assisting in operating room procedures preferred. Ability to communicate with patients, visitors and staff both orally and in writing. Successful completion of in-house Care Partner Orientation program, including classroom and clinical components, is required.
A high school diploma or equivalency required. Graduate of a certificate surgical technician program required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area’s leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children’s Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Good Samaritan Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.