Job Title: Medical Technologist
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Full Time
Hours: Sun to Sat/ 3-11p/11p-7a
Shift: Evening, Night
Req #: 21734
Posted Date: Dec 14, 2020
The Medical Technologist (Lab)performs laboratory technical duties such as patient testing and reporting, quality control and equipment function checks and maintenance according to established policies and procedures. The Medical Technologist works under the direct supervision of their immediate Laboratory Manager.
- Knows and follows related policies and procedures.
- Performs patient testing, including patient preparation, specimen collection, handling, processing and testing in a timely manner.
- Performs computer functions to process test orders including test ordering printing labels, recording correct collection and receipt times, crediting/ cancelling orders, resulting and patient inquiry functions.
- Troubleshoots orders and provides proper communication to the clinician as appropriate.
- Prioritizes work appropriately with Stat testing performed within the established guidelines.
- Escalates critical results to the appropriate department/clinician in a timely manner.
- Performs and records all required quality control testing including corrective actions.
- Performs instrument function checks and maintenance with proper documentation.
- Notifies the supervisor of any issues or concerns including supply replenishment.
- Assists in the Quality Control program activities such as quality control review, equipment maintenance and function checks.
- Serves as a resource for laboratory technicians as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Previous laboratory experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred
Licenses / Certifications:
Valid New York State Department of Health license as a Laboratory Technologist National registration preferred (NCA/ASCP)
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control. Work requires demonstrated interpersonal skills to communicate tactfully, effectively and with discretion. Maintains the required number of continuing education credits annually.