Job Title: Mental Health Technician
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: General/Adult Psych
Position: Per Diem
Req #: 21718
Posted Date: Dec 14, 2020
The Mental Health Technician is responsible for assisting in the provision of nursing care assigned to patients through the nursing process (Assessment, Planning, Intervention, and Evaluation). The Mental Health Technician reports to Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse or his/her designee for the assigned shift.
- Applies hospital patient care standards to patient care activities.
- Assists in initial admission assessment of patients and collaborates with professional staff in disposition of patients.
- Intervenes appropriately with critical patients, such as during escalation, suicidal behavior, and elopement.
- Assists in development and implementation of the patient’s plan of care, based on and mutually agreed upon with patient/family.
- Follows policy procedures to ensure patient safety (i.e. observation patient checks, sharps policy, visitors policy, patient searches etc.)
- Performs/ assists patient with activities of daily living (i.e. bathing, feeding, ambulating etc.). Under the supervision of the nurse as necessary.
- Performs effectively in emergency situations.
- Communications and documents patient progress/responses toward expected outcome(s) and reports pertinent observations.
- Takes temperature pulse, respirations and blood pressure as ordered. Weighs patients as ordered.
- Develops a therapeutic relationship with assigned patients using counseling interventions to assist patients in coping, fostering mental health and preventing mental illness or disability.
- Encourages independent behavior in patients.
- Sets limits on a patients behavior at appropriate times.
- Co-leads patient groups when assigned.
- Responds to patient family needs and customer care concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding.
- Promotes a professional atmosphere through courteous communication with patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Observes and respects the privacy and confidentiality of information with regards to patients, physicians and peers.
- Demonstrates mission and vital values with patients, families, peers and other members of health care team.
- Collaborates with peers, physicians and other members of health care team.
- Promotes attendance of patients in all therapeutic groups, community meetings and activity.
- Attends and participates in treatment plan meetings.
- Maintains and develops competence through required in-service and continuing education programs.
- Provides patient/family education relevant to identified needs and abilities.
- Ensures that patients and their families are oriented to the hospital, the unit and treatment program.
- Serves as Preceptor/resource for new employees.
- Maintains satisfactory attendance record.
- Attends department, organization meetings, in-service and mandatory education.
- Adjusts to changing work assignments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Previous experience preferred.
Associate Degree (Bachelor’s preferred) in the Human Services field and/or the equivalent in experience.
Licenses / Certifications:
BLS and Preventing & Managing Crisis Situations Training.
- All Mental Health Technicians are required to take Care Partner Certification Training during their orientation.