Job Title: Nurse Manager
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Nursing/Nursing Management
Department: General - Adult Psych
Position: Full Time
Req #: 45
Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
The Nurse Manager coordinates, directs, implements and recommends systems, methods and procedures for the delivery of nursing care in the Bon Secours Charity Health System. This involves collaboration with nursing and hospital administrative staff to ensure that standards of practice, departmental philosophy and overall hospital objectives are accomplished. Administrative supervision is exercised over a number of nursing units within the primary areas of responsibility. Responsibility includes operational activities on a twenty-four hour, seven-day a week basis. Supervision and training is provided to a number of professional nurses and support staff. Responsible for ensuring regulatory requirements are met.
- Collaborates with Charge Nurse/Lead Nurse and Nursing Supervisors and provides direct oversight of clinical care provided in assigned areas of responsibility. Ensures the planning, maintenance and evaluation of standards of nursing practice for primary areas.
- Initiates and participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of quality assurance and performance improvement activities for primary areas.
- Leads interdisciplinary rounds on the unit.
- Reviews and analyzes trends pertinent to the delivery of nursing care services within a primary area and initiates appropriate innovations.
- Evaluates patient care assignments to provide continuity of nursing care.
- Rounds on patients and families to proactively meet the clinical needs and patient satisfaction expectations.
- Advocates for patients and families, acting as liaison with the multidisciplinary team.
- Communicates clinical and resource issues to leadership.
- Assigns staff for patient care matching competency and experience with the patient acuity and needs.
- Collaborates with hospital leadership in the development of a personnel and operational budget annually.
- Monitors expenses and productivity, providing rationale and explanations for any variances.
- Develops and implements plans and schedules for minimizing the use of overtime and meeting the targeted budget, productivity goals.
- Monitors the use of supplies and equipment.
- Orders items as needed for patient care and the function of the unit.
- Holds staff accountable for time and attendance.
- Completes accurate and timely payroll. Provides coverage for Bedboard/Nursing Supervision as needed.
- Maintains unit specific position control according to hospital approved budget and staffing plan. Completes requisitions for replacement of vacancies.
- Interviews candidates utilizing a standardized tool, recommending the best qualified candidates
- Observes, evaluates, coaches and mentors staff on the unit.
- Ensures that the initial and annual staff competencies are completed in a timely manner. Maintains accurate records.
- Ensures staff maintain the required credentials for working on the unit (i.e. BLS, ACLS, NRP, PALS, license)
- Holds staff accountable and participates in progressive disciplinary action.
- Holds staff accountable for compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
- Adheres to the Collective Bargaining Agreement and hospital policies.
- Follows Occupational Health procedures for workplace injuries and impairment in the workplace.
- Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of staff development activities.
- Maintains a professional level of competence through participation in educational and research activities.
- Ensures standardization of practice through implementation of current policies and procedures.
- Participates in labor management conferences, making recommendations as required.
- Collaborates with the staff to develop and implement a quality plan for the unit.
- Collects and analyzes data to make improvements for clinical and patient satisfaction outcomes.
- Communicates quality outcomes with the unit staff and report out at hospital meetings as needed.
- Holds routine staff meetings and huddles focusing on patient care, safety and satisfaction.
- Promotes infection control and safety practices.
- Meets regulatory requirements.(i.e. CMS, TJC, NY DOH)
- Investigates and follows up with risk management/incident reports.
- Monitors medication administration to ensure safety and mitigate diversion potential.
- Actively participates in meetings.
Minimum five years of nursing experience in a hospital or health care facility, two of which must have been at a leadership level required. Possession of a valid license and current registration, issued by the New York State Education Department, as a Registered Nurse. Current BLS and ACLS required.
Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Nursing
The individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Bon Secours Community Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.