Job Title: OR Technician
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Operating Room
Position: Full Time
Req #: 23
Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
The OR Technician functions as a member of the patient care team during surgical intervention, under the direction of a registered nurse, in conjunction with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, or nurse anesthetist. The OR Technician assists by preparing, handling and maintain supplies and equipment required to deliver safe and effective perioperative care and is responsible for maintain the sterile field during surgery.
- Demonstrates clear knowledge necessary to provide patient care by ensuring all instruments, equipment, and supplies are available for procedure.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team regarding the patient’s condition during the Perioperative period.
- Demonstrates correct application for cleaning /disinfection of equipment specimen handling.
- Protects welfare of patient by accurate handling of specimen.
- Dispositions of all surgical specimens, initial specimen label are entered into Pathology logbook.
- Applies principles of asepsis, maintains sterile field technique at the sterile field, assists with terminal care of equipment and supplies after the surgical procedure is completed.
- Assists to prepare the OR and sterile field for surgical procedures including setting up sterile supplies, instruments & equipment & ensuring that surgical equipment function properly & safely.
- Assists healthcare professionals to move & position patients for surgery.
- Assists healthcare professionals to perform non-invasive prepping of the skin’s surface & draping patients for surgery.
- Assists the surgeon’s provision of hemostasis during surgery by handing instruments.
- Anticipates instrument needs of a surgeon.
- Demonstrates the ability to use the Autoclave for IUSS Immediate Use Steam Sterilization.
- Identifies emergency situations and institutes corrective actions in a calm and efficient manner.
- Precepts new employees or students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
One year experience in Operating Room required; two years’ experience in the Operating Room preferred. Certified Surgical Technologist. Responsible for completing 15 CEUs annually and providing documentation to manager.
GED or High School diploma.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area’s leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children’s Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Good Samaritan Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.