Job Title: Patient Care Technician
Company: MidHudson Regional Hospital
City/State: Poughkeepsie, NY
Category: Nursing Support
Department: Mental Health
Union Name: 1199
Position: Full Time
Shift: Day - 12 hour Shift
Req #: 32233
Posted Date: Oct 18, 2022
The Patient Care Technician has the basic knowledge of patient care needs and skills to safely and competently carry out assigned basic patient care tasks and in compliance with Mid-Hudson Valley Staffco, LLC policies and procedures. The Patient Care Technician works under the supervision of a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse. Accepts responsibility for completing all assigned tasks. Must be able to ambulate, lift and transfer patients as essential functions of position. Responsibility:
- Demonstrates ability to provide ADL’s (hygiene, toileting and feeding). Recognizes patient’s limitations and initiates appropriate action.
- Assists the registered nurse in providing individualized plan of care, as directed and asks for clarification of assignment when needed. When assigned to constant observation, follows the appropriate procedures to insure patient safety. Assists with traction and cast care.
- Reportchanges in patient’s condition and other relevant information to RN in a timely manner. Anticipates adverse patient outcomes and communicates same to RN. (ES)
- Interacts with other team members to establish priorities of assigned tasks and to ensure their timely completion. Takes the initiative to assist others.
- Answers calllights promptly and communicates patient/family needs to appropriate staff member. Anticipates patient/family needs and responds appropriately.
- Assists with transporting patients.
- Assists with lifting, moving and ambulation of patients.
- Accompanies patients on discharge as requested.
- Collects specimens as directed, labels accurately and delivers to lab as requested. Performs EKGor Phlebotomy as needed.
Minimum of one-year recent experience in similar setting or behavioral health setting preferred and demonstrated competency in all skills.
High School graduate or GED.
Licenses / Certifications:
BLS certified. Certified Nursing Assistant required or A minimum of 2 years recent experience with a similar patient population or A nursing student having completed 1 clinical rotation. Other If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control. Demonstrated written, verbal and mathematical skills consistent with high school graduate. Ability to communicate and interact appropriately with individuals at all levels, including patients, family members, and staff.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley’s most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area’s only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.