Job Title: Pharmacist
Company: St Anthony Community Hospital
City/State: Warwick, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Per Diem
Hours: M-F 730-6 S/S 8-4
Shift: Per Diem
Req #: 1384
Posted Date: Oct 05, 2021
Under the general supervision of the Director of Pharmacy, the Pharmacist prepares and dispenses medications and other pharmaceuticals in order to fill age-appropriate prescriptions by qualified prescribers in accordance with established hospital protocols, NYS Department of Health regulations for dispensing and storing medications and controlled substances and other applicable regulatory requirements including 340B and USP797 compliance. The Pharmacist provides information to physicians and qualified prescribers on the availability of existing medications, new drugs, warnings, and incompatibility of certain drugs and contraindications of medications and other pharmaceuticals.
- Reviews medication orders for appropriateness and accuracy including, but not limited to, contraindications, allergies, dose, route, frequency, duplicate therapy and formulary status.
- Interprets, clarifies and rectifies physician medication and IV orders, including the medication reconciliation process for inpatients and outpatients.
- Contacts physicians to verify patient medication orders for dose, route, name and frequency of administration.
- Prepares IV admixtures including chemotherapy in accordance with established aseptic methods.
- Compounds sterile and non-sterile preparations in accordance with compounding regulations.
- Monitors all patients on specified target drugs and initiates pharmacokinetic dosing protocols.
- Evaluates drug therapy for appropriateness and makes drug therapy recommendations to clinicians.
- Prescribes drug therapy per collaborative drug therapy management agreements and Medical Executive Committee approved protocols.
- Dispenses the final product for administration, instructs patients on the proper use of medications and performs patient counseling. Identifies, monitors, and reports adverse drug events and medication errors in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Supervises and trains Pharmacy Technicians to assure accurate medication inventory, preparation and distribution.
- Participates in development of drug protocols and clinical pathways.
- Performs drug usage evaluations on selected drugs.
- Completes quality assurance auditing as required for prescriptive authority.
- Utilizes automated medication dispensing machines.
- Dispenses controlled substances and maintains proper distribution and inventory records in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements. Purchases medications utilizing in accordance with contractual agreements.
Hospital experience or Completion of approved Pharmacy internship in a hospital or Master’s Degree in Pharmacy Internship in Hospital Pharmacy required; prior experience with CPOE system preferred. Possession of a valid license and current registration as a Pharmacist issued by the State of New York.
Bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited Pharmacy Program
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
St Anthony Community Hospital
For over 75 years, St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY, has been serving the residents of Orange County, NY, and New Jersey’s Sussex and Passaic counties with outstanding and compassionate care. The 60-bed hospital has been a primary resource for emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services. Also on campus is the Mount Alverno Center, a state-approved adult home with an assisted-living program serving 85 residents, and Schervier Pavilion, a 120-bed skilled-nursing facility dedicated to the highest standard of healthcare excellence.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with St. Anthony Community Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.