Job Title: Phlebotomist
Company: St Anthony Community Hospital
City/State: Warwick, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Part Time
Req #: 75
Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
The Phlebotomist obtains blood specimens, assists with collection of non-blood specimens and performs functions associated with test ordering. Additionally, this position performs general clerical duties of the department to assist with daily operations. Additionally, this position functions as an EKG tech and performs this procedure as needed.
- Shares the coordination of outpatients services with the Laboratory Secretary.
- Responsible for clinical laboratory/EKG results procurement to physicians and nursing units.
- Coordinates all HMO referral testing services and filing of HMO requisitions.
- Distributes lab and pathology reports to physicians and nursing units in the absence of the Laboratory Receptionist.
- Performs EKG according to procedure manual and provides age appropriate care.
- Performs venous, arterial and capillary punctures to obtain blood specimens on patients of all ages for laboratory test procedures utilizing age appropriate care.
- Assists in process of collecting non-blood specimens.
- Replenishes specimen collection supplies.
- Reviews reference lab collection requisition for appropriate use and completeness of required information, and obtains the appropriate specimens for tests ordered.
- Performs computer functions to process test orders including specimen admit, test ordering, print labels, record collect/receipt times, charges/credits, and result inquiry.
- Assists in the training and performance evaluations of phlebotomy students, as needed.
- Performs initial set up of blood culture specimens when drawn into vacutainer tubes.
- Reviews reference lab collection station requisition for appropriate use and completeness of required information.
- Distributes patient reports (scheduled and non-scheduled) to locations at appropriate times.
- E documentation for non-interfaced results, i.e., referred tests after charge tech approval.
- Utilizes telephone procedures effectively to communicate results specimen requirements, and obtain needed information.
- Documents required information in manual logs, i.e., verbal request and verbal/fax reporting for appropriate follow up on future or incomplete testing.
- Processes histology/cytology specimens including patient/specimen computer data entry, packaging specimens for transport, printing accession log and patient reports.
- Cleans and sanitizes laboratory surfaces, glassware and equipment as designated.
- Files reports.
- Types documents required for department
Completion of an acceptable phlebotomy program. This program must be completed as a regionally accredited college/university or an accredited laboratory within the last five years or High School graduation (or GED) and completion of one year full time acceptable experience as a phlebotomy technician in an accredited laboratory within the last five years Phlebotomy Certification, i.e., ASCP, NCA preferred. One year of phlebotomy experience preferred.
High School (or GED).
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control
St Anthony Community Hospital
For over 75 years, St. Anthony Community Hospital in Warwick, NY, has been serving the residents of Orange County, NY, and New Jersey’s Sussex and Passaic counties with outstanding and compassionate care. The 60-bed hospital has been a primary resource for emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services. Also on campus is the Mount Alverno Center, a state-approved adult home with an assisted-living program serving 85 residents, and Schervier Pavilion, a 120-bed skilled-nursing facility dedicated to the highest standard of healthcare excellence.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with St. Anthony Community Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.