Job Title: Phlebotomist PD
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Per Diem
Shift: All Shifts
Req #: 22377
Posted Date: Jan 06, 2021
The Phlebotomist is responsible for collecting and preparing blood and non-blood specimens for the laboratory under the direct supervision of the processing supervisor. The Phlebotomist performs general clerical duties within the laboratory department by utilizing the hospital information system for registration entry and execution of ordering additional tests for the patients. Additional responsibilities include insurance provider verification, ability to receive payments, and address any payment inquiries.
- Performs venous and capillary punctures to obtain blood specimens for patients of all ages.
- Assists in the process of collecting non-blood specimens.
- Obtains the correct collection tubes/devices and assures special requirements for collection are executed.
- Prioritizes collection requests of all pending orders in a timely manner.
- Treats patients with respect and provides age appropriate care.
- Assures test orders are valid and contain all necessary components.
- Performs computer functions to process test orders, print labels, input collection data with receipt times, credit/cancel orders when needed, and utilizes patient inquiry functions within the system.
- Ability to troubleshoot orders and provide proper communication to the clinician as appropriate.
- Prepares reference laboratory specimens for pick up.
- Provides patient results and faxes reports to the appropriate areas as directed.
- Troubleshoots testing orders for possible duplication or timing issues and documents information on log sheets.
- Communicates with fellow phlebotomists to assure efficient and effective completion of work assignments.
- Assists in the training of newly hired phlebotomists and training program students as necessary.
- Serves as the charge phlebotomist as needed and directs phlebotomy staff as appropriate to ensure staffing levels are sufficient.
- Notifies the supervisor of any issues or concerns in a timely manner including supply replenishment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Previous phlebotomy experience preferred.
Completion of phlebotomy program required.
Licenses / Certifications:
Certification from the National Healthcareer Association or American Society of Clinical Pathologists preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.