Job Title: Phlebotomist
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Full Time
Req #: 19938
Posted Date: Aug 28, 2020
The Phlebotomist obtains blood specimens, assists with collection of non-blood specimens and performs functions associated with test ordering. The Phlebotomist also performs general clerical duties of the Laboratory Department to assist with department operations.
- Performs venous, arterial and capillary punctures to obtain blood specimens on patients of all ages for laboratory test procedures utilizing age appropriate care.
- Assists in process of collecting non-blood specimens.
- Replenishes specimen collection supplies.
- Reviews reference lab collection requisition for appropriate use and completeness of required information, and obtains the appropriate specimens for tests ordered.
- Performs computer functions to process test orders including specimen admit, test ordering, prints labels, records collect/receipt times, charges/credits, and results inquiry.
- Assists in the training and performance evaluations of phlebotomy students, as needed.
- Performs initial set up of blood culture specimens when drawn into vacutainer tubes.
- Reviews reference lab collection station requisition for appropriate use and completeness of required information.
- Distributes patient reports (scheduled and non-scheduled) to locations at appropriate times.
- Enters documentation for non-interfaced results, i.e., referred tests after charge tech approval.
- Utilizes telephone procedures effectively to communicate results, specimen requirements, and obtain needed information.
- Documents required information in manual logs, i.e., verbal request and verbal/fax reporting for appropriate follow up on future or incomplete testing.
- Processes histology/cytology specimens including patient/specimen computer data entry, packaging specimens for transport, printing accession log and patient reports.
- Cleans and sanitizes laboratory surfaces, glassware and equipment as designated.
- Files reports.
- Types documents required for department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
One year of phlebotomy experience preferred
High School (or GED) and completion of an acceptable phlebotomy program. This program must be completed as a regionally accredited college/university or an accredited laboratory within the last five years or High School graduation (or GED) and completion of one year full time acceptable experience as a phlebotomy technician in an accredited laboratory within the last five years.
Licenses / Certifications:
Phlebotomy Certification, i.e., ASCP, NCA preferred
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.