Job Title: Physician Assistant-Cardiothoracic
Company: WMC Advanced Physician Services PC
City/State: Valhalla, NY
Category: Advanced Clinical Providers
Position: Full Time
Hours: M-F 8-4:30p
Req #: 16409
Posted Date: Sep 29, 2020
Physician Assistant-Cardiothoracic SurgeryWestchester Medical Center-WMCHealth-Valhalla, NYThe CardiothoracicSurgery (CTS) Physician Assistant (PA) will manage health problems andcoordinate care for thoracic and cardiac surgical patients across theperioperative continuum, including the acute inpatient setting for pre- orpost-surgical patients as well as assist the team in the outpatient arena asneeded, with that focus on continuity of care postoperatively. Additionally,the CTS PA will be prepared to assist in the Operating Room setting as FirstAssist, of which the surgeries are a majority Robotic-assisted cardiothoracicprocedures. The CTS PA willdeliver patient care and medical services to individuals and families byutilizing standards of care in accordance with State and Federal rules andregulations to assess health status, diagnose medical conditions, developmedical plan of care, implement treatments and evaluate patient responses incollaboration with collaborative/sponsoring physician as described in aCollaborative Practice Agreement.The CTS PA willcoordinate and balance care responsibilities by maintaining clear communicationwith the Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery Attendings, as well as the outpatient CTSNurse Practitioners, inpatient surgical residents and/or other advanced careproviders in a team-based approach.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical, and technical competencies of a PA-C in the CTS Department with the ability to be First Assist in the OR.
- Able to evaluate medical problems of clients in the assigned practice setting and appropriately requests consults to other specialties when indicated.
- Provides education to patients and/or families about preventive care, medical issues and use of prescribed medical-surgical treatments and/or medications pertinent to the CT surgical patient’s condition.
- Creates diagnostically appropriate treatment plans
- Documents all medical evaluation, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with all regulatory standards and evidenced-based standards of care. Maintains documentation compliance for appropriate coding and billing.
- May refer complex and high priority cases to collaborating physician with regards to complicated diagnostic problems, serious illness, complicated therapeutic problems and re-evaluation of chronic conditions.
- Provides medical and emergency interventions appropriate to the client’s needs; prescribes and monitors medications appropriate to the diagnosis; orders and monitors the appropriateness of emergency interventions.
- Maintains collegiality with all members of the inter-disciplinary team.
- Utilizes appropriate chain-of-command and communicates with Attending physicians and CTS Practice Manager of any clinical issue and contributes to quality improvement or process improvement, as necessary.