Job Title: Recreational Therapy Aide
Company: Schervier Pavilion
City/State: Warwick, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Per Diem
Req #: 18493
Posted Date: Jun 19, 2020
The Recreational Therapy Aide is responsible for providing meaningful activities to residents in the geriatric population including those who have Alzheimer’s and dementia in an effort to promote independence and provide a positive quality of life. This position assesses data reflective of the patient’s status in order to identify the requirements relative to his or her age and specific needs to provide the care needed within the scope of the job.
- Creates recreational programs and interacts with residents, families, and other staff members.
- Follows the scheduled group and individual activities on the monthly calendar.
- Completes PCC forms upon admission and participates in PCC education.
- Enters the initial activities intake form or other forms including resident activity participation as assigned into PCC.
- Sets up and uses various electronic entertainment equipment for use with the residents.
- Participates in creative planning sessions and program development for residents with various levels of cognitive functioning and physical abilities.
- Directs volunteers during activity programs.
- Distributes the monthly activity calendars to resident rooms and units.
- Interacts with community groups and accompanies residents on outings.
- Responds to call lights and assists the residents with their ongoing needs.
- Communicates and responds to family and customer concerns.
- Arranges the dining room for special events when scheduled.
- Maintains and develops competence through required in services, meetings, and continuing educational programs.
- Pushes wheelchairs and assists residents properly into the elevator when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Prior experience in the field of geriatrics preferred. Must possess the ability to operate recreational equipment (gaming systems, tablets, computers, various media players, and smart TV).
High School diploma required.
Licenses / Certifications:
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control. Must be comfortable speaking to groups of people, push wheelchairs, and working with varying disabilities and cognitive abilities.