Job Title: Registered Nurse S1
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Nursing/Nursing Management
Department: EP Lab
Position: Full Time
Req #: 21385
Posted Date: Nov 16, 2020
The Registered Nurse (Cardiovascular Services) provides professional nursing care in Cardiac Suite, Cath Lab and EP. They provide direct nursing care by assessing patients’ needs, performing physical examinations, and taking health history and demographic information. In addition, the Registered Nurse plans, develops, implements, administers, evaluates and updates specialized plans of treatment and preventive care regimens in accordance with medical orders and nursing standards, and also annotates medical records in accordance with established procedures, implements infection control protocols, and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Provides direct nursing care to patients by assessing their physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual status.
- Develops a plan of care consistent with the patient’s condition and annotates medical records in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements and provides information to clinical and support staff to facilitate continued proper nursing care. Includes the patients and family in the process of care planning.
- Performs comprehensive patient assessments, noting any improvement or deterioration in the patient’s condition and implements and evaluates nursing care accordingly.
- Assesses patients and administers treatments, medications, and general care according to nursing plan of care, best practices, established protocols and medical orders to treat actual or potential disorders and to optimize the physical and mental well-being of the patients.
- Operates specialized medical equipment.
- Evaluates and documents patients’ responses to care regimen and adds to; changes or resolves interventions on the nursing plan of care and/ or collaborates with physician regarding the need to revise the treatment plan.
- Coordinates care with other departments (i.e.: dietary, social services rehab services, etc.), serving as a liaison to ensure services are provided in a timely manner.
- Provides education to the patient and family about medication, medical treatments; disease specific information, follow up care.
- Participates in discharge planning in collaboration with other health care providers and community resources to ensure full utilization of support services, which address patient needs.
- Participates in Quality Assurance activities to ensure provision of optimum care and follow-up for patients.
- Ensures continuity of nursing care by communicating a comprehensive handoff during transition to another nurse (at change of shift, change in assignment, transfer of patient, etc.)
- Participates with other professional team members in a multi-disciplinary approach to nursing care.
- Advocates the patient bill of rights and advocates on behalf of patients and families to ensure continuity and understanding of care given.
- Accepts accountability for education requirements pertaining to policies, procedures and general patient care information, etc.
- Participates in continuing education programs and in-service education in order to provide the most appropriate nursing care.
- Complies with hospital policies and procedures.
- Participates in the performance improvement process including data collection, analysis, plan for change and implementation of changes.
- Precepts and mentors newer staff to assure appropriate orientation to assigned units.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and required staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates knowledge and assists the physician in all Cath Lab, EP Lab, Pre/Post procedures.
- Exhibits proficiency in the care of patients receiving moderate sedation and general anesthesia.
- Prioritizes and delegates patient care activities.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to care for patients in post procedural groin and wrist care.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competency in basic arrhythmia and hemodynamic monitoring.
- Demonstrates knowledge of sterile and aseptic technique.
- Exhibits the knowledge and ability to insert an IV and conduct IV therapy.
- Provides patient care by ensuring all equipment and supplies are available for procedure(s).
- Completes documentation in an accurate, timely and legible manner.
Qualifications / Requirements:
Minimum 2 years experience in a Cardiac Cath Lab and/or Electrophysiology or 2 years of Cardiac Critical Care preferred.
BSN preferred. Completion of BSN expected within 5 years of hire.
Licenses / Certifications:
- Current New York State RN licensure required
- Current BLS required
- Achieves ACLS within 3 months of employment
- RICS or CCRN preferred
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.