Job Title: Supervisor, Labs
Company: Good Samaritan Hospital
City/State: Suffern, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Department: Lab Support
Position: Full Time
Req #: 288
Posted Date: May 21, 2021
** SIGN ON BONUS AVAILABLE**
The Lab supervisor supervises staff performing laboratory testing and assures that testing operations occur in a satisfactory manner consistent with regulatory requirements. On occasion the supervisor shall perform duties and functions of a medical technologist. The Laboratory Supervisor works under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Administrative Director with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Medical Director and Quality Manager. This position exercises a degree of latitude in carrying out daily tasks with minimal supervision.
- A representative summary of tasks to be performed by incumbent is provided below.
- Incumbent may be asked to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically stated in this description.
- The duties and responsibilities of the position are to be carried out in a manner that is consistent with the mission, values and operating principles of Bon Secours.
- Organizes, plans, and directs operational processes, staff scheduling, workflow, human resource issues, and staff development; oversees the performance and quality improvement initiatives for areas of responsibility.
- Develop, establish, and ensure implementation of laboratory technical policies and procedures.
- Assures quality control and proficiency testing is performed as per policy and within practice guidelines.
- Oversees the operations of the core laboratory department. Assures efficient and effective operations.
- Assures staff compliance to policies and procedures.
- Performs review of patient test results and quality reports.
- Performs staff training and competency.
- Evaluates the performance of laboratory staff.
- Performs payroll duties. Performs computer functions to process test orders including test ordering printing labels, recording correct collection and receipt times, crediting/ cancelling orders, resulting and patient inquiry functions.
- Troubleshoots orders and provides proper communication to the clinician as appropriate.
- Performs technical duties such as patient testing, quality control testing, instrument maintenance and resulting of patient tests.
- Screens applications, interview appropriate applicants, make hiring decisions, perform employee counseling and evaluations, scheduling.
- Coordinates the performance of linearity studies, correlations and routine/emergency maintenance of laboratory instrumentation and methodologies as per regulatory requirements.
- Ensure supply levels are adequate, orders supplies.
- Assures cost efficiencies.
- Provide appropriate oversight to the clinical staff in the Laboratory to ensure policies/procedures are performed in accordance with accreditation standards, regulatory licensing requirements, regional guidelines, and safety regulations.
- Stays current on laboratory related topics.
- Makes recommendations for testing, equipment and other clinical standard practice changes.
- Serves as primary resource to the local QA/QI Committees for testing performed in the core laboratory.
- Functions as a member of the local laboratory leadership team.
- Coordinates with laboratory leadership in the identification, implementation and optimization of patient testing. Implements new processes as approved by Laboratory Leadership.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must meet NYS personnel guidelines to function as a supervisor (a minimum of six years relevant work experience). National registration preferred (NCA/ASCP). Proven experience in maintaining project schedules, documentation, communications, and meeting deadlines is required. Work requires demonstrated interpersonal skills to communicate tactfully, effectively and with discretion within all levels of management. Valid New York State Department of Health license as a laboratory technologist.
Bachelor’s degree required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area’s leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children’s Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.
Due to a recent upgrade in our online applicant tracking system, anyone who has previously applied for a position with Good Samaritan Hospital will be required to reapply.
With this recent upgrade to our system, all previous applications are no longer accessible by the WMCHealth Recruitment Team. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding during our efforts to upgrade our systems to be able to provide a better candidate experience.