Job Title: Ultrasound Technologist
Company: Bon Secours Community Hospital
City/State: Port Jervis, NY
Category: Allied Health Prof/Technical
Position: Per Diem
Shift: Per Diem
Req #: 1539
Posted Date: Nov 03, 2021
The Ultrasound Technologist provides patient care by performing a variety of technical procedures in the application of non-ionizing, high frequency ultrasonic waves to generate an image for assessment and diagnosis in accordance with established procedures and regulatory requirements. The Ultrasound Technician positions, educates and instructs patients and utilizes and maintains ultrasound equipment and supplies.
- Manages images and ultrasound examinations in the automated systems.
- Prepares and maintains records and files of procedures. Inspects and ensures equipment is functioning properly on a continual basis.
- Reviews patient’s medical history and physician’s instructions.
- Prepares equipment for procedure, and selects appropriate equipment settings.
- Explains procedure to patient and records any medical history that may be relevant to the condition being viewed.
- Directs the patient to move into positions that will provide the best view.
- Spreads ultrasound gel on the surface of the patient’s body covering the internal area being imaged.
- Performs the ultrasound ensuring the transducer (probe) is capturing images of every angle and section that must be assessed. Evaluates the images for their quality, takes measurements, calculates values, and analyzes the results in preliminary reports for the physicians.
- Maintains ultrasound equipment, probes and images in a sanitary manner, and sterilizes the room in which the procedure takes place.
- Views the screen during the scan looking for visual cues that contrast healthy areas with unhealthy ones.
- Presents images and preliminary findings to the physicians.
- Complies with safety, infection control, and quality improvement policies and procedures.
- Properly identifies patients using two hospital-wide patient safety identifiers.
- Charges procedures and supplies used to patient record.
- Maintains accurate patient records for all procedures performed, maintains patient confidentiality, and adheres to all HIPPA standards. Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum of one year experience in clinical diagnostic ultrasound, or satisfactory completion or formal training at an approved diagnostic school for ultrasound is required. Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) certified by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) preferred.
A high school diploma or equivalency is required.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area’s premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.