Job Title: Unit Secretary
Company: MidHudson Regional Hospital
City/State: Poughkeepsie, NY
Category: Clerical/Administrative Support
Department: Mental Health
Union Name: 1199
Position: Full Time
Req #: 30551
Posted Date: Jun 13, 2022
The Unit Secretary assists the professional nursing staff by performing specific tasks contributing to the care of the patient and the functional operation of the unit. These clerical and receptionist functions are performed under the direction and supervision of the Nurse Manager, Charge Nurse, and/or registered nurse. Responsibility: Receptionist Function
- Receives and delivers messages in an accurate, courteous and timely manner.
- Coordinates activities on the unit including but not limited to: Directing transportation: Scheduling patient procedures and treatments.
- Answer phones quickly with professional phone etiquette. Able to assist callers by providing information requested.
- Notify IS/Maintenance departments for necessary repairs, and informs Business Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Transcribes physician orders from physician order sheet to treatment records and/or care maps and enters in computer system as needed.
- Transcribe orders accurately, using the correct form and proper medical terminology.
- Enter orders in Invasion correctly, forwards to appropriate department and transcribes on the care map and/or treatment record.
- Enters patient factors in Invision, labels chart correctly, and transcribes on the caremap and/or treatment record.
- Physician consults; enters in Invision, and notifies physician’s office/service.
- Reports new medical orders to nurse in a timely manner.
- Obtains previous medical charts from Health Information Management department.
- Enter charges into Invision system for completed patient procedures.
- Faxes the Discharge information and Medication records to the Primary Physician and/or Home Care as applicable.
- Documents all patient information on the caremaps and carries over onto extended caremaps. Retrieve information from Nursing Admission Assessment, ER documentation.
- Gathers information for Nursing QI projects. Provides support re: data gathering reporting.
- Anticipates the needs of the Physicians and nursing staff. Consistently is aware of and provides assistance as needed.
- Serves as a resource for colleagues and new employees. Assists in orientation of new personnel. Consistently and proactively provides guidance to other staff members.
- Review charts daily for adequate sheeting and replaces/adds required forms as needed.
- Review charts daily for omitted Physician’s signatures and progress notes.
- Duplicates and/or faxes records as necessary.
- Assures completeness of medical record on all patients having invasive procedures. Initiates Pre–Op Checklist by reviewing the chart for copies of the required diagnostic work-up.
- Inputs patient discharges into Invision system.
- Processes patient charts after discharge making sure all papers are stamped with the patient addressograph and all forms have been collected and filed correctly (i.e. graphic sheet, I&O sheet, caremap). Wipes down chart after discharge.
- Reviews chart on return from a procedure and/or transfersto insure all forms are stamped with addressograph. Notifies Nurse Manager when departments are non-compliant.
- Maintains adequate supply of admission charts.
- Keeps file system supplied and in order. Assesses supply of forms and med room supplies on unit and orders as needed.
A minimum of one to two years of experience in an office setting with a working knowledge of medical terminology preferred. Demonstrates proficiency in Key boarding and other computer skills required to enter orders/charges.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Licenses / Certifications:
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control. Demonstrated verbal communication and listening skills as necessary, demonstrates proper telephone etiquette, good organization skills, and is courteous and helpful to all individuals in a non-discriminative manner.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley’s most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area’s only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.